FC Cologne in English

• Hello,

Just checking if its okay for me to post a thread in English to discuss the club. Please excuse the English, my German is limited to about 10 words.

Also, we are thinking about starting a North American Supporters Club and looking for members.

This is our thread on bigsoccer.com drop by and let us know if you are interested.

Danke

• Welcome!

Unbeliveable....a north american cologne fan club.....GREAT! :shock:

But please allow me a question: why?? Have you been in cologne??? Or your parents?? Or grandparents?? On what depends your connection to cologne and the Fc???

Schlaue Bücher und kluge Frauen stoßen sich ab. Jedenfalls von mir.

Manchmal frage ich mich was andere Menschen mit Ihren Hobbys machen...zum Beispiel Holzschuhtänzer. Fragen die sich auch Samstags 15.30 Uhr ob es ein Radio in der Nähe gibt...

• Welcome from me as well!

Freifaller: Well, there are Fan Clubs of Schalke and Munich as well in the USA...why not one off THE german football club :D

I would really like to discuss in english, would help me practising :D

Panicfc: Perhaps you should nevertheless read some of the threads in German - could help you to make your german better :wink: :arrow:

Have fun!

Greetings.

• Good questions:

Well I've only been in Cologne for about 4 hours back in 1999. I have a connection to the area in that I used to work for a local company, that will remain nameless, and I didn't really get excited about that team.

I'm originally from New Orleans, Party Capital of the World, and I think Cologne has a lot of that magic that I call home.

Back in the 70's we had a show on tv "Soccer made in Germany" hosted by Toby Charles. I remember him talking about all the big teams, and I always loved the Bundesliga.

I'm not a Munich kind of guy. I was in Hamburg in April, seemed like a nice place, but something was missing. Driving through the area between M'Gladbach and Dusseldorf i fell in love with the area. I am already planning my next trip to Germany.

Well I'm not one to jump on a bandwagon, and as much as I was happy that Stuttgart won - Its not going to work. The whole idea around Cologne seems right.

Its not fashionable,but its cool, it fits me.

I like teams with loyal fans, that develop players, that are in great cities - West Ham is one of my other favorite teams.

Anyway check on Bigsoccer and see how we are moving along.

Oh, I'm working on translating pages from the website, and I'll soon work on some threads.
    Danke

• Hi. I'm the brains behind the latest attempt at forming a US-based supporters group for FC Cologne. My name on bigsoccer.com is Benedict XVI.

I was part of an exchange program to Germany in 1990, while I was still in high school. I had started to take an interest in soccer due to our participation in the 1990 World Cup and when I went to Germany in August I wanted to see a game. My first ever soccer game was, I believe, the first match of the 1990-1991 season, a 1-1 draw against Fortuna Düsseldorf. Since then, I have been a fan, although the shirt I bought at 17 no longer fits me at almost 34.

I have not been back to Germany since but I have continued to follow Cologne's ups and downs. Right now seems like the best time to get a North American supporters group together because of lot of American soccer fans were in Cologne for the World Cup and have adopted the club.

• Here we come!

Right now we have about 10-13 people interested and we are sure there are a lot more interested who just need to learn about us.

Sharp has the paperwork from the club to make us official, so hopefully that will go smoothly.

Thanks again

• I'll hope that the club mentions this special Fanclub in the next issue of the club magazin Geissbockecho...

Schlaue Bücher und kluge Frauen stoßen sich ab. Jedenfalls von mir.

Manchmal frage ich mich was andere Menschen mit Ihren Hobbys machen...zum Beispiel Holzschuhtänzer. Fragen die sich auch Samstags 15.30 Uhr ob es ein Radio in der Nähe gibt...

• Thanks guys,

Its great that we're getting some support from the locals over here and again on the Bigsoccer site.

• It is gerat to have American fans here. As we say: There are Cologne fans all over the world!

There ist also a translation button for this website, however, I don`t think it would be very useful for you, as it translates in a way which is not understandable...

It is cool that you come from New Orleans... I stayed for a year in that area (Zachary, LA)

• I use the translation button for the main site, but it doesn't work for the forums (at least I don't think it does).

Zachary? What were you doing down there, I can only imagine eating a crawfish and having a great time. Cajuns know how to cook.

• Zitat

Original von Panicfc
    I use the translation button for the main site, but it doesn't work for the forums (at least I don't think it does).

Hi.... in "Funstuff" I posted a link to a page with a translator. It's not very good but you can try it.

The url is: http://www.online-translator.com/

Klick on "Translate WWW", after this, give it the adress "www.gbf-forum.de" and choose the direction: "German-English Translation"

In the end klick on "Translation"

It works a little slowly but it works.

Have fun 8)

• Thank you, I'll take a shot later today on some short threads. I'll probably have to jump back to the forums in German to post, but we'll see how that goes.

I am going to try and learn 10 words in German a day and see how that goes towards learning the language.

• Zitat

Original von Panicfc
    I am going to try and learn 10 words in German a day and see how that goes towards learning the language.

We will check that weekly :wink:

Erste Runde Arsenal, dann zu Roter Stern, nach Borisov da fahren wir auch gern. Danach ist's eh vorbei, scheißegaaal, der FC war internationaaal.
    EUROPAPOKAAAAL!

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat

Original von Panicfc

Check this out :wink:

http://www.slidestory.com/?page=detail&cid=104 (Learn all the important words :wink: )

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/german/ (A self-contained online German course)

• Those are fantastic sites. I know a lot of the German football words, but not all of them. Very cool. Thanks for posting that.

• Zitat

Original von Povlsen

We will check that weekly :wink:

10 german words a day - Povlsen for example have a hard time with 10 new words a year within living memory... :?:

• Zitat

Original von Panicfc

The problem with the german language is not the vocabulary, it's the grammar.

• a friend of mine learned French in 4 weeks by learning 10 words a day. After he built a vocabulary he then read magazine and newspaper articles to learn how to speak correctly. He's in Denmark now and doing it again.

I'm hoping I can remember to do it, plus I neeed to find my German-English dictionary :D

• WOW!

You are just a resource for everything. The local powerball is up to $54 million. If you can give me the numbers for this Saturday's drawing, I'll cut you in for a split 8)

• Zitat

Original von Dietmar

The problem with the german language is not the vocabulary, it's the grammar.

Many german people agree with that :D

• Zitat

Original von Lottner#30

Many german people agree with that

And that makes us so easy nobody after :D

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!